Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm
The story of Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm is a rare and fascinating tale that began three generations ago with entrepreneur and founder, Dean Brown. It was 1946 and navigating the pristine Kimberley coastline in a wooden lugger, Dean discovered the secluded unspoilt beauty of Cygnet Bay along with the precious gift of the Pinctada maxima pearl shell. It was in these waters that his pearling dream was realised in the creation of the first Australian owned and run South Sea pearl farm. Still a family run business, the Browns infuse their passion and expertise in South Sea pearling across all aspects of Cygnet Bay.
Located on the tip of the pristine Dampier Peninsula, Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm was established in 1946 and has been open to the public since 2009. Here is your opportunity to work with a friendly and professional team, in one of the most beautiful parts of Australia with a world-class product.
The pearl farm is 200km/two hours north of Broome WA, so you will need to be prepared to live in a remote environment and as part of a small community.
Our staff are known for their friendly, can-do attitudes, and we are looking for authentic, passionate people who enjoy interacting with people of all ages, to join the tourism team at Cygnet Bay.
We are currently recruiting in the following areas:
- Guest Service Agents/Receptionists,
- Tour Guides/Jewellery Sales (Land Tours),
- Front of House/Bar Staff (Restaurant),
- Kitchen Hands,
- Coxswains/Tour Guides (Marine Tours),
We are looking for candidates who have a positive, can-do attitude and are prepared to be flexible within a tourism-driven enterprise. Connecting with our guests and making them feel special is our upmost priority. We want our guests to feel like family; this starts and finishes with our tourism team.
You will need to have a strong work ethic and must enjoy working within a fast-paced environment. Being part of a remote, seasonal team requires staff to assist or fill in for other staff members. Therefore, you should be flexible and willing to support the team when required.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Proven experience within a similar tourism-based role,
- Friendly, helpful, confident, and engaging personality,
- Genuine interest in providing good customer service and the best possible experience for all guests,
- Strong sales focus,
- Strong work ethic and proven experience in contributing to a small team environment,
- Ability to show initiative and work unsupervised, when required,
- Previous experience working in a remote location, or a strong interest in doing so, and
- A Police Clearance or willing to obtain,
- Manual Licence (Guest Service Agent),
- A minimum of a current unrestricted Coxswain Grade 1 (Coxswains)
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Previous experience with property management system (RMS) and tour booking (Fareharbor) software (Guest Service Agent),
- Manual Licence, and
- Basic First Aid Certificate.
Benefits & Culture
- Experience the remote Kimberley Coast and the unique lifestyle of the pearling industry,
- Food & accommodation provided onsite (at subsidised rate),
- Learn about Australian South Sea Pearls and local indigenous culture, and
- Staff discounts on tourism & retail products.
This is a casual position (approximately 40 hours per week) for the duration of the 2024 season, with the opportunity for extension for the right candidate.
All applications must include a cover letter outlining which position you are applying for, resume and two professional references. Please be aware that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.