The deckhand/guide plays an integral role on all our charters, responsible for maintaining company assets, guest liaison, providing sound knowledge & excellent guiding capabilities on all excursions, as well as providing assistance & support to the vessel master & crew.
Being part of our team we hope you share the same passion and enthusiasm to explore the Kimberley and to learn more about this remote region as much as what we do. Extensive knowledge and excellent guiding capabilities are required; as well as the drive to want to learn more and enhance the guests experience.
Training manuals are available for help with Kimberley history, geology, rock art, flora, fauna & others. We also have an onboard reference library to assist you with gaining knowledge. Please find below a detailed description of our guiding requirements.
- Liaise with guests about the difficulty of each excursion
- Show leadership, interest and passion in all guiding activities
- Ensure comfort and safety when guiding of all persons is maintained at very high standards. This includes offering assistance as required as well as directing where to place feet/hands. Etc
- Assistance with guests physical needs
- Provide guests with knowledge about the Kimberley history, flora & fauna, wildlife, rock art & places of interest
- Leading walks, excellent communication skills for presentations/talks on various topics of interest
- Water bottles to be filled and taken on each excursion
- First Aid backpack, radios and satellite phone to be taken on every excursion
- Teach guests how to fish
- Current open Coxswains ticket
- Senior First Aid certificate
- Minimum 2 years experience in a customer service/hospitality position
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Organisation and time management
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Police clearance
- Previous experience in the Kimberley tourism industry would be advantageous but not essential
- Knowledge of the Kimberley region
- Only applicants who will be in Broome long-term will be considered for this position
- This is a contract position rostered 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off. This may vary from time to time
- depending on the vessel itinerary.