The Mackerel Islands are a collection of 10 pristine islands and atolls scattered off the mid-coast of Western Australia, in the spectacular Pilbara region. One island currently welcomes guests from April to October – Thevenard Island – with accommodation, facilities and activities available. Thevenard Island is located 22km off Onslow, or 1400km north of Perth, and our wilderness-style experience boasts world–class fishing, snorkelling, boating, diving, nature watching and relaxation.
We are taking applications from friendly, energetic, and adventurous couples to join our small housekeeping and kitchen team on Thevenard Island. Our ideal candidates will be passionate about the ocean and marine wildlife.
Successful candidates will be offered a full-time contract from until the end of the tourism season in October 2022, with a possibility to extend, and with the hours worked to be on any day of the week. You will be expected to work an average of 45 hours per week.
Benefits & Perks
- Free staff accommodation on the island
- Heavily subsidised meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Staff discount on selected items at our General Store
- Use of kayaks, paddleboards, snorkelling gear and plaka boats
- Amazing weather, gorgeous sunsets and a close-knit team environment
As an Island Housekeeper, your duties may include:
- Cleaning of rooms, ensuites, and toilet blocks within accommodation facilities
- Laundering and folding of all linen and towels from accommodation facilities
- Laundering of contractor workwear and personal garments
- Check appearance and presentation of accommodation prior to guest arrivals
- Maintain daily cleanliness of guest facilities including rubbish removal and pest control
- Use company point-of-sale system, and replenish of supplies and upkeep presentation of General Store
- Assist with guest arrivals, departures, and requests
- Maintain high level of customer service ensuring guest satisfaction
As an Island Cook, your duties may include:
- Cooking and preparation of meals including breakfast, lunch and dinner ensuring the quality and presentation of food
- Running island events, including set-up, pack down and cooking
- Assisting Chefs with meal preparations
- Washing and storing all cooking appliances, equipment, utensils and dishes
- Maintain kitchen and dining area standard for sanitation and hygiene
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards
- Minimise spoilage and waste by utilising food surpluses and portion control
- Previous experience in a similar position providing a buffet style meal service
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, or equivalent experience
- Pride in delivering a high standard of meal service and presentation
- Willingness to work independently and unsupervised on a daily basis
- Previous experience in the hospitality or tourism industries, preferably within a similar position
- Pride in delivering a high standard of customer service to guests and customers
- Be a quick learner who can think on their feet
- Demonstrate a level of fitness to safely perform labour intensive duties
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic – you must be resilient’
- Awareness of the nature of living and working in a remote and isolated environment
- A current National Police Clearance or willing to obtain
- A Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate
- Understand the importance of COVID-19 hygiene controls
Please note, to comply with the WA Government’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, employees in our industry are required to be full vaccinated by 31 January 2022. We will require evidence of vaccination prior to any offer of employment.
If you would like to express your interest in working for us, please submit your resumes to Island Managers, at [email protected]
Please note, candidates may only be contacted regarding their application if their skills and experiences match the opportunities we have available.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!