The Goldfields Tourism Development Manager will play an important role in the development of the region as a tourism destination for visitors from across Australia and key international markets.
The Goldfields Tourism Development Manager position will drive and facilitate tourism destination development and outcomes in the Goldfields over the next 4 years, with activities strategically aligned to existing local tourism strategies of the participating local governments, Australia’s Golden Outback’s (AGO) Strategic Plan and the AGO Tourism Destination Management Plan.
The position has three main areas of focus:
- Destination development
- Project delivery of agreed priorities and initiatives
- Building stakeholder relationships and advocacy
The position will act as a key linchpin to optimise the collaboration between key stakeholders, including the participating Goldfields Shires, Australia’s Golden Outback, Tourism WA, Goldfields Visitor Centres, Kalgoorlie Chamber of Commerce, Goldfields Esperance Development Commission, Regional Development Australia Goldfields-Esperance, WAITOC, the tourism industry and the broader Goldfields community.
With the local tourism strategies of the participating local governments, the AGO Tourism Destination Management Plan and AGO’s Strategic Plan providing the main strategic direction, the Goldfields Tourism Development Manager will prioritise and implement project plans for key initiatives to develop tourism in the Goldfields. In doing so, the position will also play a key role in building a strong united industry, which is better placed to drive future growth.
A key objective is to further develop the Goldfields as a sustainable tourism destination by developing new experiences, working closely with existing operators, raising the capability of the industry and attracting new products, visitors and investment, whilst delivering added economic value and vibrancy to its communities.
The chosen candidate will have had experience in a similar role and have a thorough knowledge and understanding of destination development, the roles of respective stakeholders and have the creativity and collaborative skills to proactively deliver initiatives to enhance tourism development in the Goldfields. Ideally, they will have had experience of working in the Goldfields.
This hands-on role offers a high level of variety, autonomy and creative opportunity to deliver outcomes.
The role will be based in Goldfields (exact location to be agreed with successful candidate), with extensive travel through the region and occasional possible travel to Perth.
The role reports directly to the CEO of Australia’s Golden Outback.
Key Result Areas and Duties
Tourism Strategies/Tourism Destination Management Plan Implementation
- Facilitating and implementing destination development initiatives from LGA, AGO and Goldfields Esperance Regional Tourism Strategies. The agreed initiatives developed will provide the framework, priorities and focus for the role.
- Produce an annual project action plan and budget to plan and implement the delivery of the agreed strategic priority initiatives across the Goldfields in consultation with participating local governments and key stakeholders.
- Build relationships with and between the industry and key stakeholders.
- Regular communication and meetings with key stakeholders to raise awareness of Tourism Development Manager’s work and foster further collaboration on initiatives.
- Provide quarterly reports to the LGA partners on the progress of initiatives.
- Communicate the economic benefit of tourism to the local community.
- Actively encourage industry and communities to participate in tourism industry workshops, campaigns, training and briefings, including assisting industry to capitalise on tourism industry grants and other opportunities.
- A partnership approach to be undertaken with all relevant departments of the Goldfields Shires to ensure alignment and collaboration with actions and activities.
- Maintain a high standard of ‘visibility’ within the tourism industry by organising networking events, attending functions, launches and meetings, as requested.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance for industry as required.
Industry Development and Engagement
- Development and delivery of industry engagement.
- Facilitating relationship building and collaboration within the industry and between the industry and visitor centres.
- Working with the AGO marketing team and liaising with tourism industry on marketing opportunities.
- Assist all Goldfields visitor centres on focussed marketing and visitor information initiatives, working closely with and leveraging AGO’s marketing team.
- Oversee visitor centre and operator capability building initiatives.
- Identifying capability needs and sourcing available resources for industry.
- Curating PR and marketing collateral from the industry for stakeholder use.
- Other duties and tasks as directed by the AGO CEO.
- Increase the number of participating Goldfields LGAs in the partnership.
- Develop new partnerships that foster collaboration, enhance outcomes and raise the profile of tourism in the Goldfields.
- Grow income sources.
Administration & Other
- Assist AGO team in the maintenance of financial records, invoice/cheque processing, and preparation of financial reports.
- In conjunction with the CEO, produce the communication conduits for distribution to members, the broader tourism industry, Tourism WA and media.
- Perform administration duties as directed by the CEO.
- Other duties as required by the CEO or as directed by the Chairman.
- 5+ years in a professional tourism environment, preferably in a tourism development role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high attention to detail
- Creative and innovative thinker with an engaging interpersonal style that promotes effective communication and relationships
- The ability to form, foster and manage positive relationships with the tourism industry, stakeholders and Goldfields communities
- Advanced presentation and promotional skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sound organisational and planning skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and as part of a group
- Proven ability to be self-directed with a high level of initiative
- Experience working in the Goldfields
Qualifications and Experience
- In-depth knowledge and experience of tourism destination development and the roles of respective stakeholders within and related to the tourism industry
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project management
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office 365: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A current ‘C’ class driver license and own vehicle
We are seeking an experienced person who is a strategic thinker, is approachable and adaptable to change, can use initiative and work autonomously whilst also working as part of a small team, with commercial awareness. Importantly, they are action-orientated and get results.
Applications close Monday 12 September