Exmouth Adventure Co are excited to be offering a number of Traineeship positions in 2024.
The Assistant Tour Guide (Trainee) position is responsible for assisting with the safe and effective delivery of half day, full day and multi-day tours, programs and other aspects running a successful marine tourism business under the leadership of the Managing Director, General Manager, and our Senior Guides. Based in Exmouth, Western Australia, there is potential to assist with tours in other locations including the Dampier Archipelago (near Karratha WA).
The Assistant Tour Guide (Trainee) will be enrolled in a formal Marine Tourism training program delivered by Central Regional TAFE – Certificate III in Tourism (Marine Tourism) and will undertake coursework, on-the-job training, and industry-relevant certifications.
Who is Eligible?
Prospective trainees should be 18 years of age or over as of the expected Traineeship commencement date of March 18, 2024.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in learning about and working within the outdoor industry, with a particular interest in pursuing a career as a customer-focussed team member within a marine tourism business.
The traineeship application process will be competitive, with applicants expected to address the essential criteria, demonstrating a commitment to learning about, and working within, a busy adventure and marine tourism business.
- 18 years of age or above as of March 18, 2024
- Legally able to work as a trainee in Western Australia
- Manual driver’s licence; willingness to change over to WA licence if from inter-state
- Working With Children Check for Western Australia (or willing to attain at own expense prior to Traineeship commencement)
- Current first aid and CPR (or willing to attain at own expense prior to Traineeship commencement)
- Proof of accommodation in Exmouth town for the duration of the Traineeship
- Genuine interest in and enthusiasm for working within an adventure and marine tourism business
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed communication, time management and organisational skills
- Effective inter-personal and relationship management skills
- Personal experience in areas such as kayaking, snorkelling and bush-walking
- Physical fitness and promotion of a healthy lifestyle
- An ability to understand risk management and Workplace Health and Safety in an outdoor context and take steps to implement safe practices
- Computer literacy and a good understanding of the Microsoft Office suite of programs
Training + Certification:
The traineeship is scheduled to take place over a 12-month period, during which time you will receive training and gain experience in all aspects of the business. Due to the nature of the programs we deliver, and in order to provide you the best quality training experiences, additional hours will be required above the Award during the peak season of April to October. This additional experience may result in the completion of the traineeship in less than the scheduled 12 months. Where extra hours are accrued, a time-in-lieu arrangement may be negotiated. EAC anticipate face-to-face work hours for the traineeship being required between March 18 and December 18, 2024. There may be an opportunity for suitable candidates to be considered for future employment with Exmouth Adventure Co at the conclusion of the Traineeship.
In conjunction with Central Regional TAFE, trainees will work towards attaining at Certificate III in Tourism (Marine Tourism). Units covered will include:
SITTIND003 – Source and use information on the tourism and travel industry
SITXCCS014 – Provide service to customers
SITXCOM007 – Show social and cultural sensitivity
SITXWHS005 – Participate in safe work practices
ELECTIVE UNITS INCLUDED IN THE TRAINEESHIP:
SITTGDE017 – Prepare and present tour commentaries or activities
SITTGDE021 – Prepare specialised interpretive content on marine environments
SISOSCB001 – SCUBA dive in open water to a maximum depth of 18 metres
SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
SISOSNK001 – Snorkel
SISOSNK002 – Lead snorkelling activities
SISOKYS001 – Paddle a sea kayak in enclosed waters
SISOKYS004 – Lead sea kayaking activities in enclosed waters
SISOPLN004 – Identify hazards, assess and control risks for outdoor recreation activities
SISXFAC006 – Maintain activity equipment
SISOFLD002 – Minimise environmental impact
Additional, industry-relevant certifications that may be undertaken during the Trainee’s time with Exmouth Adventure Co include:
- Paddle Australia Enclosed Sea Guide Certification
- Community Surf Rescue Certificate
- PADI Open Water Diver
- I’m Alert Food Safety Training
Pay and conditions will be in-line with the Miscellaneous Award which can be found at: https://www.fairwork.gov.au/
Please visit the Pay and Conditions Tool (P.A.C.T) to see the rates that are applicable to you: https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/
How To Apply
Please send applications including a cover letter (maximum two pages) addressing the essential criteria and desirable attributes, up-to-date resume and contact details of two people willing to provide references for you via email to [email protected]. Applications received by social media or other means will not be considered.
Applications must be received by 4.30pm WST on January 12, 2024.
In order to be successful in this competitive process, please ensure that you:
- Address the essential criteria and desirable attributes in your cover letter, keeping it to a maximum of two pages
- Ensure your referees are available to be contacted
- Get your application in on time! Good luck!
Questions? Please email Neri: [email protected]